Writing an effective Research Paper
Research publications are very essential for a researcher to publicize his/her work and get noticed in the research community. Journals and the conferences are the medium through which publications can be made available to the world.
Research Journals began their journey way back in 1665 (first model of the modern journal, Le Journal des Sçavans, published in France in 1665, followed by Philosophical Transactions, published by the Royal Society in London later that year). The number of active scholarly journal titles has increased steadily. There are roughly around more than 30,000 titles currently active.
Ulrich is the authoritative source of bibliographic and publisher information on more than 300,00 periodicals of all types academic and scholarly journals, Open Access publications, peer-reviewed titles, popular magazines, newspapers, newsletters and more from around the world. It covers all subjects, and includes publications that are published regularly or irregularly and that are circulated free of charge or by paid subscription.
According to research from the University of Ottawa, the total number of science papers published since 1665 is around 75 million by 2017, and approximately 2.5 million new scientific papers are published each year.
Research paper is a write up of the research findings, out of the research carried out by a researcher or a group of researchers in a specific domain of interest. Research papers are all about organizing ideas in a linear, understandable format to the research community who are working in the same domain of interest. A research paper has the following template or skeleton which one needs to follow while writing a research paper.
Template of a Research Paper
- Paper Title
- Author Details like Author Name, Affiliation and Email ID
- Abstract (Maximum 200 words)
- Keywords (Minimum Three, Maximum Five)
- Literature Review
- Problem Definition
- Methodology / Approach
- Results & Discussion
- Future Scope
- Short Profile of Each Author(s) with Photo(s)
- Paper Title : Title must be clear and specific. It should be easily understandable by the target audience and should reflect the main objective of the research paper. Moreover it should not be a sentence.
- Author Details like Author Name, Affiliation and Email Id: Author First name and Last name are sufficient. Salutations like Dr / Mr / Prof etc are highly discouraged. Provide personal email id over official as you may change your organizations during the course of your career.
- Abstract: One paragraph containing minimum 100 words up to 200 words. It is a summary of the paper describing the problem investigated, the methods applied, the main results and conclusions.
- Keywords: Three to Five most important terms that describe the research domain and specific problem area where research is carried out.
- Introduction: This section introduces the research and the problem domain to the reader. It is a brief section usually not more than a page. This section helps the reader in understanding the need for the current research problem.
- Literature Review: This section includes state of the art work carried out by the researchers so far, in the proposed area of investigation.
- Methods / Approach: This section elaborates the approach /methodology followed by the researcher to solve the problem specified.
- Results / Discussion: This section quantifies the outputs generated in the methodology section. This section also compares analyzes the obtained results with the methods discussed in the Literature Survey.
- Conclusion: The overview of the methodology followed, results obtained and the relevance of those results are summarized in this section.
- Future Scope: This section is for the researchers who want to take up the research in the same problem domain. This section shows the future possibilities and limitations of the problem domain.
- Acknowledgment: The authors acknowledge all the people and organizations who have supported for their research work.
- References: This section lists all the research papers cited by the researcher in his Literature review to carry out his research work.
- Authors Short Profile: Short research profiles of all the authors with photographs form this section.
Below is a sample Research paper for your Reference
Poster Presentation Template for a Research Paper
Below I have added a link for a poster presentation Template ( 36x 48 Horizontal Power Point ) for presenting a Research paper as a poster.